Tuesday, August 02, 2005

SHAWL PATTERN

O.K., here’s the pattern, as best as I can write it. Maybe someone can help me figure exactly the number of foundation chains so the people who are new at this don’t have a hard time trying to add or subtract.

*As far as I know, there are no patterns like this available with a copy-right. The book that I had 20-something years ago had this same disclaimer in it. If this is a copy-righted pattern, please contact me with proof and I will remove the pattern.

Ch 212. Chain 2, turn.
Now this makes a shawl of approximately 6 ft long. This is where I usually shorten it, but my first one was this length and it was great for throwing over a shoulder or draping over your head. Anyway, here is where I need the pro’s help in figuring the “multiples” of the chain to shorten it.

Row 1. Dc across into foundation chain. Ch 3, turn.

Row 2. Ch always counts as first stitch on the row. Dc crochet into the 2nd stitch from the chain stitch, skipping one DC. Then go to the skipped dc, and make a dc. It will cross over and look like an “X”. There’s a name for this stitch but I have forgotten it. Continue across the row, ch3, turn.

Row 3. Dc in all stitches across row, ch3, turn.
Row 4. Repeat Row 2
Row 5. Repeat Row 3
O.K. basically you are going to have a band of alternating two rows. One row of all DC, one row of the cross over stitch. You can make this band as wide as you like, just as long as you end with a row of all DC. Understand? I know I am not good at writing instructions so forgive my flaws with this and e-mail me for any questions. Be back shortly with part 2.

No comments: